Thursday, November 5, 2009

eCurriculum Diagram

My mum is a Primary School teacher and she is not far from retirement.  She is resisting the digital revolution with the comment "How could I teach my students anything about technology?".  I agreed with her that it's a challenge to keep up with the technology and it takes hard work and time to design lessons/units that will be engaging for digital natives.  She acknowledged that it was her responsibility to put in the effort and make it happen.

She asked me "What do you expect year 5s to know, they already do word processing and maths practice on the computer?"  I told her it wasn't just about the skills they developed computer wise, it was more about how they used ICTs to engage with the curriculum.  She said "Ok, great... what does that look like?"


So I showed her this: [from my DPL]:


















I wanted the diagram to show a progression from the Curriculum to e-Curriculum and to show what the kids get out of it.  She got it. [now she wants me to plan her units]

2 comments:

  1. Hi kate - love how you have the learner at the centre. One thing I'd comment on is - is engagement the main reason for using the elearning? Probably not, actually there is the implicit goal of creating digital citizens - maybe the title should reflect that? Anyway, nice work and even just seeing all the categories you've listed has got me thinking...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah I guess you're right Jonathan, the title does need tweaking - it suited it's purpose at the time but for braoder use it doesn't cut it. It's a work in progress:)

    ReplyDelete