Thursday, March 25, 2010

1:1 Wallwisher


My year 9s had a Physics exam today, so I was helping them revise yesterday.  We watched a video and instead of getting all the kids type some notes, (usually they'd word doc or Xmind them), I thought it would be the perfect opportunity to use Wallwisher. [inspired by the Shane's EQelearn wall via twitter)

I half thought it would be blocked but was pleasantly surprised when kids clicked the link and got straight on to it.  They were so keen, EVERY kid was watching the video so intently hoping to get some kind of fact tidbit they could stick on the wall.

All I said about the rules of the wall were: No silly stuff and no anonymous posts, all I got to the contrary was one boy calling himself Britney and another kid saying he wanted a Big Mac.  Fair enough :)

I stuck on a couple of stickies to start them off - "I hope the video covers...", "Notes from the video," and "general comments about the video".  While I was getting the video sorted out, the kids started doing some predicting and were very taken with the wall.

We ended up with so many, it as a bit hard to read so I set a homework task for the kids to read through them all and pick their TOP 10 - all but 3 kids did it - a great result.  We discussed the top 10 and I showed mine - I picked my TOP 10 and I presented them in a Keynote with some more info and discussion question with each - it worked really well.

The kids that can't take great notes from videos had something to work with and the kids that took awesome notes got to share them.   I'd use it again in the same context.

Maybe I should SurveyMonkey them and see what they really thought...

1 comment:

  1. Kate, great work. Love the use of tools and the collaborative nature in which you use them.

    ReplyDelete