Monday, March 22, 2010

Tranformational learning... is that the new 'amazing'?

I've been teaching 1:1 for 15 months now and I think I can see that it's not enough just to "digitise" our lessons/units.   I don't think what I do in my classroom at the moment is "amazing" or even delivering on our school's strategic plan to improve literacy and numeracy data.

Actually, I have been so focused on integrating ICTs that I don't think it's addressed the Essential Learnings or enhanced my students knowledge in my key learning area.  I don't think I've disadvantaged the kids (they've done the same as the other kids + more,) and the majority of kids have benefited greatly just because it has suited their learning style.
I don't know how I can prove or disprove any of this - which is part of my problem.

This sounds dramatic but it's where I'm at.  This is my thinking...


 Now what do I do??

Well, today I sent an 'application' for some support to develop the :"What's wrong with you?' Project.  I think if I get a chance to do this project, I'll have a better understanding of "transformational learning".  I want to invest time and effort into this and see what comes of it.

Previously I have thought we don't have enough time to facilitate TL in a high school environment but is technology the enabler that will allow us to cover what we need to cover? I think so.

I'd love to talk to some more people and see what 'transformational learning' looks like in other schools.  Maths and Science anyone???

No comments:

Post a Comment